Virus Home > Zanamivir Dosing
General Information on Dosing With ZanamivirSome considerations for people taking zanamivir include the following:
- The medication is inhaled into the lungs, either one or twice a day, depending on several factors. If you take it twice a day, try to space it evenly (every 12 hours). If you take zanamivir once a day, try to take it at the same time each day.
- Zanamivir is inhaled using a special non-propellant inhaler with special foil disks. Each disk contains four small, foil blisters, which contain the powdered medication. These blisters are punctured, and the powder is inhaled using your own breath.
- Be sure to keep the blister horizontal while using the drug; otherwise, the powder can spill out.
- Make sure you know exactly how to use the zanamivir inhaler. Several steps are necessary to assemble and use it. These steps are clearly outlined in the patient information that comes with zanamivir.
- For treating the flu, zanamivir works better the earlier it is started. Ideally, it should be started within 48 hours of the onset of flu symptoms.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to zanamivir dosing, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.