When and How to Take This MedicationSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with nevirapine XR include the following:
- Nevirapine XR comes in an extended-release tablet that is taken once a day.
- You must swallow the tablets whole; do not crush, chew, or dissolve them.
- You can take nevirapine XR with food or on an empty stomach. If the drug bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Try to take your dose at the same time every day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions about taking this medicine. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing a resistance to nevirapine XR, making the drug less effective.
Storage InformationNevirapine XR should be stored at room temperature, away from moisture and heat. Keep the tablets in an airtight container. Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children.
Is There a Generic Version?Nevirapine XR is available in generic form (see Generic Viramune XR).
Available StrengthsThis medication comes in the following strengths:
- Nevirapine XR 100 mg tablets
- Nevirapine XR 400 mg tablets.