Nevirapine XR Side Effects
Notify your healthcare provider immediately if you are taking nevirapine XR and develop potentially serious reactions, such as jaundice, a skin rash, or swelling of the face. In most cases, however, side effects are minor and can be treated easily. Some of the most commonly reported nevirapine XR side effects include a rash and liver problems.
An Introduction to Side Effects of Nevirapine XRJust like any medicine, nevirapine XR (Viramune® XR™) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with nevirapine XR. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Nevirapine XR Side Effects to ReportSome side effects of nevirapine XR are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of liver damage, such as:
- Fatigue or a general ill feeling (malaise)
- Loss of appetite
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Tenderness near the liver, in the upper-right part of the abdomen (stomach)
- Pale stools
- Changes in the distribution of fat on your body (such as a "buffalo hump")
- Any rash, especially a rash that is accompanied by any of the following symptoms:
- A general ill feeling (malaise)
- Muscle aches or joint pain
- Skin blisters
- Mouth sores
- Eye redness
- Swelling of the face
- Liver problems.
While rashes are the most common nevirapine XR side effect and are sometimes relatively harmless, it is extremely important to report any rash to your healthcare provider while you are taking this medication. In rare cases, nevirapine XR can cause life-threatening problems, such as Stevens-Johnson syndrome, which typically begin with a skin rash.