When and How Do I Take Oseltamivir?Here are some general considerations for when and how to take oseltamivir:
- This medication comes in either liquid or capsule form. It is taken once or twice a day, depending on your healthcare provider's instructions. You may take your dose with or without food. If oseltamivir upsets your stomach, take it with food.
- Oseltamivir should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- Shake the suspension (liquid) form thoroughly before each dose.
- Make sure that you complete your entire prescription of oseltamivir, even if you start feeling better before it's finished. This will ensure that the infection is completely treated.
Dosing GuidelinesThe dose of oseltamivir your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Tamiflu Dosage for more information.)
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with oseltamivir. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well.
For adults, the most common side effects of oseltamivir are:
In children, the most common side effect is vomiting; up to 15 percent of children experience this side effect.
Nausea and vomiting usually happen during the first couple of days of treatment, and are usually mild to moderate. Taking oseltamivir with food may help decrease the chances of these problems developing.
If you develop an allergic reaction or severe skin rash, stop taking oseltamivir and call your healthcare provider.
(Click Tamiflu Side Effects to learn more.)