Palivizumab Side Effects
Common Side EffectsPalivizumab has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of children given the drug were carefully documented and compared to those that occurred in a similar group of children given a placebo injection (an injection with no active ingredient). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the placebo.
In these studies, the most common side effects of palivizumab included but were not limited to:
- Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold -- in up to 50.6 percent of people
- Ear infection -- up to 36.4 percent
- Fever -- up to 27.1 percent
- Runny or stuffy nose -- up to 26.8 percent
- Hernia (when tissues or part of an organ bulges through a weak area of muscle) -- up to 4.1 percent
- An increase in a certain liver enzyme -- up to 3.0 percent.
Other possible reactions included:
- Injection site reactions, such as:
- Mild pain
Final ThoughtsYou may experience some or none of the palivizumab side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while using palivizumab or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.