Zovirax Ointment Overdose
Although rare, it is possible to overdose on Zovirax ointment. Because only a small amount of the active ingredient is absorbed into the bloodstream, an overdose is unlikely, provided the drug is used properly. However, if a person inadvertently takes a very large dose of the medicine by mouth, possible symptoms of a Zovirax ointment overdose can include agitation, seizures, or kidney damage.
Zovirax Ointment Overdose: An IntroductionZovirax® ointment (acyclovir ointment) is a medication that is used to treat genital herpes and cold sores. As with all medicines, it is possible for a person to take too much Zovirax ointment. An overdose, however, is unlikely if the medication is used properly. The specific effects of the overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, such as how much Zovirax ointment was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, drugs, or alcohol.
Symptoms of a Zovirax Ointment OverdoseIf a person uses too much Zovirax ointment on the skin, there will probably be no overdose symptoms (and no problems), as only a small amount of acyclovir (the active ingredient in it) is absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream. If a person or child inadvertently takes a very large dose of Zovirax ointment by mouth, overdose symptoms are possible. These symptoms might include:
- Kidney damage.
However, an entire tube of Zovirax ointment only contains 750 mg of acyclovir. It would probably take several tubes of Zovirax ointment taken by mouth to cause any overdose symptoms.
In any case, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Zovirax ointment.